I’ve had a container of garam masala in my spice cabinet for a while now and I’ve finally dusted it off and used it. It smells heavenly. I love chicken tikka masala, and I get it almost every time that we go out for Indian food. It was about time that I tried making it myself.
Chicken Tikka Masala
- 28 oz can of petite diced tomatoes
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 Tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken, cubed
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
Combine everything except the yogurt in a crock pot for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Stir occasionally.
Once finished, stir in yogurt and chopped cilantro. Reserve a bit of the chopped cilantro to go on top for garnish.
For me, this yielded about 7 1-cup servings of chicken with sauce. And it’s only 3 SP per serving!
I made brown rice (6 SP per cup, prepared) for my partner, but for me I made Green Giant Riced Cauliflower & Broccoli since that’s 0 SP. That way, I can use less brown rice for less points.